Sunday, March 7, 2010

Week 2 Wrap Up and Week 3 Plan


Week 2 Wrap:
All right, pass or fail? Pass! Again! Well, mostly. Although in full disclosure last week’s wrap was posted before going to dinner at my godparents’ house. And you just don’t mess around with my godfather’s cellar, so that was another sugar Fail. But since then, I’ve improved, only one off plan day, as originally scheduled. Remember, Sundays don’t count in traditional Lent, so I decided Friday or Saturday did not count for me. And that was it, one day, Friday. Now I’m back on plan, eating simple, great food. I trained Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. I ran twice, biked twice, and did some strength training. I decided to weigh myself, as I often do after training in the afternoon for the first time in a while. I do not want to make this a goal oriented endeavor, so I have avoided the scale. But it showed me that I am back where I was before the holidays, maybe even a little lighter, so this McDougall MWL really works, if you execute it properly. At this rate I should hit race weight by spring break, which is perfect timing for my A races. Of course, they say the final few pounds are always the hardest, but I’m not worried.

Week 3 Plan:
School will be a little hectic this week, so once again I’m trying to to front load the cooking so I don’t have to work too hard. So on Saturday I cooked BBQ Heirloom beans, very good! Instead of canned I cooked up a pound of Rancho Gordo Pinquitos. Especially good on baked potatoes. Today I have a navy bean soup going in the crockpot, and tonight I will cook a simple yellow split pea soup (curried variation) extra thick so it can be a spread. Tomorrow night I will cook a New Orleans style red bean dish. A big pot of rice and some baked potatoes and I’m basically done for lunches and dinners. This week I’m going to experiment with simpler “steam fry” dishes to add some more green vegetables to my diet. If my main starches are already cooked, then all I need to do is steam some veggies as an accompaniment. I am going to simplify my stir fry with fewer veggies, and try to do it Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights. I usually get carried away, but I will limit myself to three veggies each time, to make things easier. Teamed up with rice and bean soup, I think I’m rockin’!

So here’s how it looks:
Mon: New Orleans Red Bean Gumbo
Tues: Stir Fry Broccoli, shroom, and red bell pepper
Wed: Stir Fry Asparagus and red bell pepper
Thurs: Stir Fry Bok Choy, carrot and shroom
Fri & Sat: Danger Zone! I’ll be at the parents’ house, where temptations lurk around every corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment