Monday, March 8, 2010

SWOT ANALYSIS ON VEGIESIS

So, at first I was really down on myself for the many mishaps of last week. Then, I realized that I need to think of them not as failures, but as weaknesses that can be made strong. For the past ten years I have been teaching business students how to do a SWOT analysis on an organization. A SWOT analysis is the idtification of Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats to an organization's success. Why not apply this to myself and my lenting?

So, last week identified not too many strengths in the face of change. When my environment is stable I am strong, but a single shock to that reality and I lose my strength. Weakness then becomes evident. I am weak at planning when company comes so instead I derail. Opportunities? I have an opporutnity to develop these weaknesses into strengths by planning meals out in advance when I know company is coming. Perhaps I should have a few homemade frozen meals on hand as well so that I can be caught off guard but not become weak from it. The threat?? Chaos. I seem to abandon in the face of chaos or a shock to my "norm". Social settings are a threat for me, dining out is a threat. So, I should be certain to plan for these events and if I am going to someone's house I can bring a dish that works for me or if going out I can prepare a list of what is acceptable in my mind so that I am less likely to panic and take the wrong path. Perhaps I can never give up my raspberry lemondrops but at least I can cut down on the oil consumption that seems to go along with them.

1 comment: