Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Nightmare!


So I am reminded of a Neal Barnard lecture a while back where he describes the various "food seductions". These are dangerous foods that have particularly strong drug effects on the brain for susceptible people. Cheese is one of the big ones, and I am susceptible. Barnard found that the casomorphins are so strong that cheese was the number one thing patients/research subjects missed when switching to a vegan diet. I sympathize, I literally woke up last night dreaming of pizza. Mostly I was fantasizing about the melting cheese. What was worse, is that unlike most nightmares, when I woke up, the feeling didn't go away! I've thought about it all day! I WAS excited about my first asparagus dish of the season, but its luster faded a little because of my cheese craving.

EPILOGUE:
I did the asparagus proud by sauteeing it with grape tomatoes, red bell pepper, and chimichurri sauce, which is a balsamic and spice blend originally used as a steak sauce. Highly recommended. As our former commander in chief was fond of saying, "stay the course".

2 comments:

  1. Hey - can you post that chimmichurri recipe? It sounds good and my portobellos might enjoy being dressed with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a recipe- bottle from Whole Foods. I'll bring you some.

    ReplyDelete