Tuesday, March 9, 2010

New Dinner Recipe - Need Comfort Casserole Now

I decided that I want a casserole meal toady. It is cold and gray and I need comfort. But how? Casseroles are so full of cream of this or cream of that and sour cream or butter, or cheese.....ahh!!!!!

So I came up with a great sauce that I am using and while it does not meet the MWL criteria due to some rice milk and whole wheat flour, it tastes awesome and is great on top of my veggies.

Here it is: Adapted from vegweb

1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried mustard powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp curry powder
black pepper
lemon zest 1 tsp
1 Tablespoon of chunky salsa
1 Cup of rice milk or water

Whisk all dry ingredients together then whisk in rice milk or water until no lumps remain. Place in a sauce pan and heat until it thickens to a condensed cream of something soup consistency. Add in zest and salsa and stir to combine.

Pour over steamed veggies and bake or you can add in cooked brown rice to the veggies and pour over and bake for a vegie rice casserole, or pour over a baked potato, or use as the sauce to make scalloped potatoes or do whatever. This sauce reminds me of the old days of cream of chicken soup based casseroles, yet there is no animal ingredients. It has a mellow yet distinct flavor and works well as a sauce for casseroles.

Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Looks good.
    I wouldn't worry about the rice milk/flour, they are legal for the regular program, and in these amounts, should do no harm. Flour is a problem when IT is the centerpiece, since its lack of fiber increases relative calorie density. I like the "condensed cream of something" description!

    ReplyDelete