Friday, February 26, 2010

Salad Dressing Dilema

I have to admit that I love salad dressing. Even the oily ones. So, since I am cutting down on fat I had two options, cut down on the amount of fatty dressing I use, or find something else. In the summer I enjoy citrus, but I can't seem to get into it right now. So, it came to me as I was eating at my favorite vegan cafe, that I should use tomatillo salsa or any salsa for that matter. I love salsa and I can easily eat it every day, so why not? Tonight I made a homemade batch of tomatillo salsa (oil free and raw) in the blender and I am loving it!!! Tonight it will serve as a dressing for a fiesta Friday dinner. Problem solved! Then I roasted a bunch of veggies and blended them up with mexican spices for a roasted veggie salsa. I am sooo excited! This weekend will be a good one for sure!

My recipe: Tomatillo Sauce

1# Tomatillos husked washed and quartered
1 small yellow or white onion diced
2-3 cloves of diced garlic
1 Serrano chile chopped (use your preference for seeding)
1/2 tsp cumin
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt and Pepper to your taste

Wizz this around until it is blended and then if you want to thin it out more add 1/2 cup of veg stock or leave it as is. Let it stand so that the flavors develop and enjoy as a salsa, dip, enchilada sauce, or salad dressing. Yummm!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dude-
    Don't whizz in my salad! Haha. Sounds good. I just got a veg Mexican cookbook that a great recipe for cabbage with salsa, like a salad, so it all sounds good to me. The oily dressings are only good until you get away from them for awhile, you can lose the taste, and believe me, it's a taste worth losing! If you have a copy of Doug Graham's 80-10-10 book, check it for lots of great blended fruit/veggie dressings. Sounds like you've got great plans, so keep it up! Liberation through Lent!

    ReplyDelete